Sunday, November 30, 2014

Empowering education: by Ira Shor {reflection}

Ira Shor's Empowering education was an interesting read because this is a topic I have strong opinions about. Today having a teacher or professor who is genuinely passionate about getting the best from his or hers students is rare.  I have been very fortunate to have a great professor in fned and my other courses this semester. Horror stories do exist within colleges and local school districts. To put simply Shor argues that educators focus heavily on making students memorize information rather than critically think and analyze it. I have been victim of teachers/professors who just want memorized information. The thought of walking in a classroom and the teacher says "okay, open your books to the first chapter" makes me feel sick thinking about it. Very seldom do I succeed in a setting like that. "Education is a social experience for tens of millions of students who come to class with their own dreams and agendas. Sometimes cooperating with and sometimes resisting the intention of the school and the teacher" p13 This is a powerful quote that I agree with. I do come to class with my own dreams and agendas. Sometimes I am at completely different ends with my professors and I will let them know and other times I am on the same page. A good teacher or professor will enjoy positive or negative feed back. That is a great example of empowering your students. The best advice I could give anyone in school is don't be afraid to stand up for what you believe in when you're in school. Shor



How I feel when being lectured.

7 comments:

  1. I could name the professors I have taken who genuinely are passionate about getting the best from their students in one hand. Not many teachers take into consideration that teaching is not just about listening to the professor and taking notes. You did a nice job reflecting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that having a passionate teacher really does effect a students learning, I similarly don't do well in a class where the teacher wants you to simply memorize information. Also really liked your hyperlink for Ferris Bueller's day off, good connection! Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you! Whatever attitude the professor gives off has an effect on yourself and your learning. Good job with your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your post. Students should feel free to speak up and express their opinions. Too many times we are told that we should not question authority figures even if they are wrong. A professor/teacher should welcome any feedback that a student gives. It shouldn't matter if that feedback is positive or negative. I'm grateful we have a wonderful professor like Professor Bogad that welcomes any feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed your post this week, professors can really make or break a class for you. I have definitely had some professors who were so terrible and it has made me dread going to class. Great reflection - really relatable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also agree that having a teacher who is engaged in the way a student is learning and how they are comprehending is something amazing to have. Just as Cindy said, not all teachers take into consideration that being hands on is helpful for us as students. Great reflection!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed your reflection, I agree with everything you are saying about having a professor who is engaged! I am using your blog this week to extended comment on because I found a great video which I think goes with what you are saying!!

    ReplyDelete