Sunday, November 16, 2014

Citizenship in School: Reconceptualizing Down Syndrome

(Reflection) After reading Citizenship in school, it really got me thinking about my middle school and high school days. During my time in middle school I was never really accustom to meeting another kid that had down syndrome or any other disability. I did know what down syndrome was, and there were a few students within the building that had it. There was just never an opportunity to interact with them during school. High school was different. My high school had a basement, first floor, second floor, and third. The special education students were placed in the basement in which I am not entirely sure how I feel about that today. The one positive thing I can think about in regards to those students being in the basement, was that all the students attending gym had to go to the basement before class started to change in the locker rooms. This is where I had the opportunity to interact with the special education students. They had a few rooms in the basement so they were always in and out of their classrooms. It might have only been for two or three minutes because I had to run up to the gym, but it helped me. I got to know a few students and they were always happy and friendly. One quote that I like from Kliewer was "[Community] requires a willingness to see people as they are-different perhaps in their minds and in their bodies, but not different in their spirits or in their willingness and ability to contribute to the mosaic of society. It requires the "helper" to have the humility to listen for what the person says he or she needs. Also, the "helper" must see that the interaction "helps" both ways. (p. 12)" I agree with this through and through. You just have to listen when they talk to you. A little bit can go a long way.

Thinking back about students with down syndrome or any serious disability, maybe I should try to think of a positive for them being placed in the basement. To reference August, maybe that's their safe space. It could help them within the classroom and their learning process. Overall I enjoyed the message Kliewer is sending out to his readers. Chris Kliewer


4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your own connection to the article, it was really thoughtful! I also thought it was really interesting how you related the special education students in your school being placed in the basement to August's Safe Spaces. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really liked how you used this weeks article for a connection! good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job connecting August to this weeks assigned reading. I agree with Erika. You seeing the positive with the special ed classrooms being placed in the basement was interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I really liked how you connected it to your high school and middle schooling.

    ReplyDelete