Sunday, October 19, 2014

IN THE SERVICE OF WHAT? KAHNE & WESTHEIMER




(Reflection) After reading In the Service of what? by Kahne and Westheimer, it really made me think about my future. Kahne and Westheimer emphasize that service learning within a community can help students learn, rather than just read about something. I really enjoyed this article because I enjoy helping others. It was 2004 my Uncle was elected to the Town Council in North Providence. I know from the bottom of my heart my Uncle has been in politics for the right reasons, and they are to help others, and improve their quality of life. By him being elected, that was the day I fell in love with community service. Now I can only help on a small scale by making charitable donations or donating time whether it be a toy drive, food for the homeless or cancer research funds. When there are town functions going on throughout the year I try my best to donate my time whether it be a day or even just an hour to help out. I think its great more teachers and students are getting out to do community service. It really helps you learn a lot. It connection to Kozol its really sad that not much community service is established in Mott Haven.

It really does my heart well seeing happiness from others. It is one of my greatest satisfactions doing for anyone in need. If its something as small as donating a five dollar toy, knowing it will make some little guy or girl happy that's enough to make my day. In the middle of all this I really learn, and understand how lucky, and fortunate I have been growing up. The real life stories I have witnessed keep me grounded and humble as a person. Hopefully someday I achieve my goal of becoming an elected official to help others. I will never forget how fortunate I have been in my life, and I will be there for anyone in need.
Westheimer




Here are a few pictures of two public figures I admire for what they have done.



1 comment:

  1. I must agree with you seeing the happiness of others really is a great thing. I really like the way you tied your life into the piece. Great job!

    ReplyDelete